Tuesday 23 April 2013

Writing plays - What I learnt from my last one and why moodboards are key


With my latest play - How much I love you - out in 2 weeks, now is the time to take a step back about what I learnt during the process of writing and directing it: 
-There's no such thing as seeing it performed. Spending time with actors, hearing them say your words out loud, answering to their questions, definitely makes you spot how your writing can be improved. So, readings are extremely important. But mainly, it is about taking what you wrote out - even if it's not as perfect as you would like it to be - and letting other people bring it to life. 
-As filmaker AnneMarie jacir puts it: rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. I have 6 versions of this play on my computer, and kept editing it while working with actors
-moodboards: something that is extremely important. Even though we work with words, I find working with moodboards infinitely valuable. Moodboarding each characters for example helps define their personality: how would they dress for a walk in the park? which Hollywood actor would best fit the role? What does their office look like? Empty and clean, or with expensive art on the walls? It also helps so much when it comes to speaking with actors

No comments:

Post a Comment